Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Baby, it's cold outside!


The DC-ers say it's going to snow next week. They said that last week too. So far the weather has been pretty bearable. On Sunday it was 66 degrees outside. But, today was pretty cold. My face hurt when I got to work. I'm a wimpy California girl. My co-workers cut me slack, though, probably because they are in love with the fact that I'm from the west coast.

Here's a recap of the past week:

Living in the nation's capital makes celebrating federal holidays a patriotic event. Jenaye (my roomie) and I headed to the Lincoln Memorial on MLK Jr. Day. For those who may not know, King delivered his famous "I have a dream" speech on the steps there. (The memorable line is engraved on the steps of the memorial. Note the picture above.) We also toured the World War II and Vietnam Memorials. The Lincoln Memorial is freakin amazing. I look like a midget standing next to it. According to the brochure, its creators used 28 marble blocks. I'm not even sure how big one marble block is! Nonetheless, it was a super cool experience, and there's an amazing view once you reach the top (the photo below). Another cool thing about Washington: taking an evening stroll around the White House. It's relatively close to the center, so it would be a shame not take advantage of its proximity.

My internship keeps me on my toes, but I think I'm luckier than other people here. In addition to the random projects, I've been assigned to an account and sat in on my first meeting today. It was a pretty cool experience considering that Spectrum is one of the top private communication firms in the country. It also means that there are pretty nice perks, such as free lunches from decent eateries around the office. I had my first power lunch in Washington today too, with my mentor, Jane. I also work with other interns my age, which makes happy hour more fun and work more fun too (I know, I know, who knew work could be enjoyable?). Yet, it definitely stresses me out at times. Overall though, I'm happy with my choice.

The night life here is definitely a nice reward to the end of a long work week. A bunch of us trekked out to Adams Morgan , which is known for its bar scene frequented by the younger Washingtonian crowd, on Fri/Sat. I danced both nights away and had a fabulous time. It will definitely be hard to return to the Davis night scene.

Other stuff:
-Visited the International Spy Museum
-Ate at this fancy restaurant (Nage = swimming in French)

No comments: